Monday, July 10, 2006

A Piece Of Me: Aged 26

Well, whilst normally I like to write things that might be uplifting, encouraging, challenging or perhaps instructive it occurs to me that life here on this black page can go from day to day and show you the things I'm thinking and what might be going on or coming from my heart but may not always give a sense of the routines and happenings that we all go through in life here on earth. So it is I thought I'd just jump in and say, it was my birthday on Saturday. July 8th.

That's one of those special days for me. One I look forward to. When I was in school a lot of my friends would miss my birthday because we'd be into the summer holidays. Still, that did mean that the friends who lived closest to me and I could be certain that we'd be free to do something that day - assuming they weren't away. We could go play out on the street maybe handball or football (soccer) or something, or perhaps go up to the park or something. Or of course there were those silly party games which are still a favourite! These days in Tucson July means the 'monsoons' which I always enjoy, but not so much the good old fun of having your friends around to a party for which you had sent out cool little invitations to which they might have had to reply.

So I'm now officially listed one year older than I was a few days ago. My last birthday was a big one because on a run shortly after I had this sense, for the first time in my life that I was really now a man. That might sound a bit cheesy but there's a distinct difference when you go from feeling like a boy or a 'young man' to a man in your own right, and that happened for me last year. This one just now seemed to cement that a in, one year deeper. More and more I look forward to things God has planned, and to getting to work for Him in whichever way He chooses. Reading the biographies of men like Chambers, Taylor and others, I see their lives put to good use and I long for mine to follow that path also. Truly it is our lives are what we do with them, and I recall a lesson from Chambers who pinpoints, "Will is the whole man active. I cannot give up my will, I must exercise it. I must will to obey, and I must will to receive God's Spirit."

Here is a day oh Lord, here is my life oh Lord, but I'm not going to just sit on it, I'm going to choose to pursue you and your word, to fill myself and my time with them, and I look forward to see what becomes.

God bless.