Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A Fellowship of the Word

Proverbs 22:5 says, "The glory of God is to conceal a matter, to
search a matter out is the glory of kings."

Also, Psalm 119:111 says, "Your statutes are my heritage forever; they
are the joy of my heart."

The two verses quoted above nicely summarise, I think, the proper
attitude towards the word of God. The psalm teaches us that the Word
of God is part of our inheritance, our heritage, something we value
and treasure and something that brings us joy. I know at times it
doesn't always seem that way, but it is nevertheless true. The proverb
excites me, because it suggests to me that rather than have followers
who just sit inactively, it is one of the highest callings of men to
actively search out the truths and secrets of God. To dig deep into it
and bring out those treasures which God has hidden!

I sit here typing this quite excited, because, of the few definite
things I can say I hope for my life, being able to know well the Word
of God and know His secrets - to master the Word (if such a thing is
possible) is one of the greatest.

As I was praying a few days ago I started to feel this same excitement
about the Word of God an idea came into my mind. It occurred to me
that it would be an amazing thing if this journey of discovery and
hunt for the truths, secrets and person of God in the word, could be
done with others. To have an interchange with others who, likeminded,
could say that the word is their joy and their heritage, and find
themselves priviledged as kings digging into its mysteries.

I do not know if any of you have had the same feeling or desire but as
I started to think about this my excitement grew and I wondered if
such a thing might be possible. To form a group of individuals who
love the word of God and would love to together search out some of its
mysteries. To form a fellowship who would come together to take on
this challenge and calling of kings and experience the shared joy of
its discoveries.

And so, I have a proposal:

That, such a group be formed, who would enjoy searching through the
Scriptures with one another, and enjoying a fellowshipping in the
word. Questions, and subjects could be put forth, ideas and thoughts,
readings and experiences shared.

Anyone interested, drop me an email, the first 'dig' has just begun.